Today is Friday 19th September, 2014. There are in parts, collective sighs of relief as the United Kingdom remains intact for at least a little while longer. Sierra Leone begins a three-day lockdown in the fight to stop Ebola’s spread. The French have joined the United States in attacking ISIS by air. This is the Round Up.
**PM PROBES ROWLEY…orders commission of enquiry into Las Alturas apartments under former housing minister
**Probe into failed housing project
The Newsday headline ironically gets it right.
Now, do not get me wrong. I have no problem with a government looking into a failed construction project to determine where things went wrong with it.
However, the Prime Minister has timeline and summary of the entire project in her speaking notes in Parliament yesterday. Certainly, these would have been extracted from more comprehensive source documents which are, clearly, available for examination.
Your first step is “Commission of Enquiry”?
Yuh never hear about an audit, Kamsie?
And is one even necessary? Yuh ent done have *EVERYTHING* yuh need to move forward and take action already? All this for 26 million dollars? The old people have a saying about candles and funerals that Kemlr has quite clearly never heard.
Further, given that Las Alturas was a UDECOTT project and by the terms of reference that the Prime Minister has outlined, shouldn’t this have been considered in the Uff Enquiry into the costruction sector, an enquiry that cost taxpayers a reputed 46 million dollars already?
To put this foolishness into perspective, Adolphus Daniell walked away with 34 million Jwalas without doing a lick of work. Action to date: Zero.
But then, perhaps an enquiry is indeed required in order to get facts straight. Kemlr claims that the project fell under Dr. Keith Rowley’s oversight when he served as Housing Minister from 2003 to 2007. Rowley’s response to that is in the links following.
**Rowley: $20m payout for lawyers: I am not responsible for collapse, says Opposition Leader
**Rowley: Lawyers will benefit most
**Al-Rawi: PM will face embarrassment
No need for these articles to be summaries. All of their content is pertinent.
From the Guardian article: Leader of the Highway Re-Route Movement Dr Wayne Kublalsingh said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is wrong in her handling of the disputed Debe to Mon Desir leg of the Point Fortin Highway. He also dismissed claims by Persad-Bissessar that he was holding the nation to ransom, saying she was instead being held to ransom by “certain people” who have been “obstructing her heart, kindness and integrity to do the right thing.”
A friend summarises the situation thus: “Dr. Kublalsingh has not said don’t build the highway. He has simply asked that it be re-routed and that the Armstrong report be reviewed. So this nonsense about whether the highway is needed or not is irrelevant. The arguement here is where it is being routed. If you look at what is suggested by their movement it is actually shorter and less costly to do what he suggests. The PM has painted a picture as if he does not want the highway at all and that is not true.”
**Full support from mother of activist
In the mean time, Dr. Kublalsingh seems to have prepared his family for his making the ultimate sacrifice for the cause.
Kamla has near forty Police slayings on her hands in the past eight and a half months alone. Will the death of one activist move her?
**Changes please Debe residents
"…some residents said even though they were bracing for impending floods… they did not want the highway to stop…"
I. Do. Not. Understand.
From the article: Nazamud Sahadath, of Pundit Trace said since the construction started, Debe had experienced the worst flooding in history. “We are calling on Government to build a box drain at Sahadath Avenue and this will take away the water flow. Last month we had three feet of water under the houses.”
Uhm… How big that box drain hadda be?!
**Debe divided: Opposition, support for Kublalsingh and Re-Route group
"THE people or Debe are torn. The majority are United National Congress (UNC) loyalists and die-hard government supporters, expected to support the Debe to Mon Desir segment of the Solomon Hochoy Highway extension to Point Fortin."
In this Express article, I see the following words used by persons who have cleared the path for the highway:
- threatened (x2)
- unfairly treated by the State
One resident: “This is a flood-prone area already, when the highway (is) complete it will form a ring around Debe which would be like a bowl for people to drown.”
**Resident vows own hunger strike
From the article: Debe businessman Indar Jairaj intends going on a hunger strike in support of the building of the Debe to Mon Desir segment of the Solomon Hochoy Highway extension to Point Fortin.
Please click the link. See Indar Jairaj’s picture. Don’t tell me what you’re thinking. I thought it already. In the words of Kemlr: Let’s move on.
Thus in the first year of a baby’s life, where the mother is absent, the father would be the recipient of the grant.
The unsophisticated nature of the whole plan aside, did this need to be said?
If in the first TWELVE months of a baby’s life, the mother is missing, I would think that purchased milk would be an absolute necessity, not so?
But again, has the need for this type of support been assessed, and does it have to be part of a completely separate programme of support from everything else that the Ministry of Social Development affords?
**Two schools shut down
And it starts with the closure of two schools, after infection and the sudden realisation that they are bombarded with mosquitoes.
There is an economic impact to disease that the Ministry of Health and all other responsible agencies seem not to be considering in not having admitted there is a problem, and not getting ahead of the Aedes Aegypti mosquito, vector of both ChikV and Dengue, even before ChikV was confirmed in Trinidad and Tobago.
The disease is now progressed from the North West hills into suburban centres of Belmont and Maraval, and now into schools where children may carry the disease to their families as far abroad, by reports, as Arima and Chaguanas.
The head of Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) may have understated it when he said that the “full bloom of chikungunya virus is yet to come.”
**Ebola scare at Mt Hope
And given the woeful response of the authorities to the ChiV spread, and further the seriousness of the Ebola virus, this Guardian headline above would understandably cause some degree of panic, until one clicks thought and reads the sub-caption, “…but patient had malaria”.
According to one of my friends, Guardian, #StopIt!
Have a great weekend, everyone. //